About the Chamber
The Chamber is a volunteer based organization serving the interests of the business community and with an ongoing commitment to the City of Lafayette.
In 1947 a group of concerned business persons launched the Lafayette Chamber of Commerce.
The stated mission of the organization was:
“To promote and maintain a healthy business climate and to
preserve and enhance the quality of life in Lafayette.”
A half century later, the Chamber has grown to include more than 600 businesses and professionals in Lafayette and neighboring areas. It remains the principal advocate for the business community, working to promote businesses in town and encouraging new enterprises to locate here.
All aspects that make up a community are important: schools, residents, churches and synagogues, community organizations and activities, and the city government. Chamber members work with representatives of all these groups for the betterment of the community.
Annual Chamber events include the Taste of Lafayette, the Lafayette Reservoir Run and the Lafayette Art & Wine Festival.
Proceeds from Chamber events are often shared with deserving nonprofit organizations in the community.
To accomplish its many activities the Chamber has the following committees:
- Directs recruitment and retention of Chamber members
- Develops and monitors member services and benefits
Activities include monthly mixers, holiday party, grand openings, and Mayor’s Breakfasts. The committee also plans periodic educational seminars and issue oriented general membership meetings.
- Identifies membership volunteers to help with chamber events
- Makes contact with new members to welcome them to the Chamber
- Organizes and runs monthly mixers
- Develops new programs to assist local businesses in being more environmentally friendly
- Aligns with the recommendations made by the city’s Environmental Task Force
- Works with Sustainable Lafayette
Governmental Affairs Committee
- Facilitates communications between the Chamber and governmental representatives/agencies
- Provides representation at City Council and commission meetings
- Develops pro-active, timely position statements on relevant issues on behalf of the Chamber
- Implements community forums to promote dialogue on city issues impacting the business community
- Works on behalf of membership to encourage a positive, pro-business environment
- Works with Lafayette and Acalanes School Districts
- Facilitates networking between local businesses and local schools
Emergency Preparedness Committee
- Coordinates with the City of Lafayette in developing emergency preparedness programs
- Works with local Chambers in developing emergency preparedness seminars
- Develops Business Preparedness and Continuity information
Entrepreneur’s Club Committee
- Steering committee to develop programs for the Entrepreneur’s Club
- Facilitates networking with other local chambers
Shop (Promote) Lafayette Committee
- Develops & implements programs to promote the local economy
- Works with local newspapers to offer advertising discounts to Chamber members
Reservoir Run Committee
- Meets year round to work with staff in planning & producing annual Reservoir Run
- Coordinates community volunteers for event